Candidates Refuse to Back Trump Ban on Muslims
Donald Trump went on his usual rant about Muslims at Thursday night’s GOP debate. Despite the popularity of his comments, the other major Republican candidates distanced themselves from the billionaire’s line of thinking.
“We have to stop with political correctness. We have to get down to creating a country that doesn’t have the kind of problems that we’ve had with people flying planes into the World Trade Center, with the shootings in California,” Trump said, noting that his ban would only be temporary.
“We can’t be the stupid country anymore,” he added.
The Hill reports:
Jeb Bush immediately pushed back and asked Trump to reconsider.
“This policy is a policy that is impossible to build the coalition necessary to take out ISIS,” he said, referring to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.
“The other Arab countries have a role to play in this.”
The Bush team has repeatedly hit Trump on this issue, with Bush calling Trump “unhinged” last year. But moderator Neil Cavuto turned to Bush, asking him whether those who agree with Trump are also “unhinged.”
“No, not at all. I can see why people are angry and scared, because this president has created a condition where our national security has weakened dramatically. I totally get that,” he said.
Then the other candidates joined in.
John Kasich and Chris Christie reiterated calls to not admit Syrian refugees; Ted Cruz touted his call to suspend the resettlement of refugees in the U.S. from any country where Islamic terrorism is active; And Ben Carson called for a group of experts to study new immigration guidelines.
Marco Rubio didn’t directly address the question, though he has declined to back it before, instead calling to strengthen refugee vetting policies and bashing President Obama for underestimating ISIS.
Photo credit: CBC.