Trump Resisting Calls for Mock Debates
It seems Trump is going to “wing’ the Presidential debates, as he does not want to over-prepare against the Clinton campaign.
The Hill reports:
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is declining calls to take part in mock debates ahead of the first presidential debate next month, The New York Times reported.
“I believe you can prep too much for those things,” Trump said in an interview last week, according to the Times.
“It can be dangerous. You can sound scripted or phony — like you’re trying to be someone you’re not.
“I know who I am, and it got me here,” Trump said.
“I don’t want to present a false front. I mean, it’s possible we’ll do a mock debate, but I don’t see a real need.”
Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham was reportedly ready to play Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton in a mock debate during Trump’s first preparation session on Aug. 21, but Trump declined.
During that session, held at Trump’s golf club in Bedminster, N.J., Trump asked several questions about debate topics, Clinton’s skills and potential moderators.
Former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes was reportedly present at that session and at another held in the same location.
Trump told the Times he knows “how to handle” Clinton and said the debates will not be judged based on policy points but on boldness and leadership — an area in which he believes he has an advantage.
Photo credit: Gage Skidmore/Flickr.