Take Glenn Greenwald’s Quiz: Who Said It – Israel Hawk Hillary Clinton or Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu?
Hillary Clinton has always been vocal about her unabashed support of Israel but lately she’s sounded a lot like Israel’s own Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
With that in mind, The Intercept’s Glenn Greenwald has created a quiz to see if readers can distinguish Clinton’s Israel talking points from Netanyahu’s talking points at all.
Let’s take an abridged version of the quiz – Who said it?
1. “Israel has a right to defend itself. The steps Hamas has taken to embed rockets and command-and-control facilities and tunnel entrances in civilian areas, this makes a response by Israel difficult.”
2. “Israel did what it had to do to respond to the rockets.”
3. “It is striking … that you have more than 170,000 people dead in Syria. … You have Russia massing battalions—Russia, that actually annexed and is occupying part of a UN member-state—and I fear that it will do even more to prevent the incremental success of the Ukrainian government to take back its own territory, other than Crimea. More than 1,000 people have been killed in Ukraine on both sides, not counting the [Malaysia Airlines] plane, and yet we do see this enormous international reaction against Israel, and Israel’s right to defend itself, and the way Israel has to defend itself. This reaction is uncalled for and unfair.’”
4. “You can’t ever discount anti-Semitism, especially with what’s going on in Europe today. There are more demonstrations against Israel by an exponential amount than there are against Russia seizing part of Ukraine and shooting down a civilian airliner. So there’s something else at work here than what you see on TV.”
5. “What you see on TV is so effectively stage-managed by Hamas, and always has been.”
6. “Well, first of all, Hamas is responsible for the deaths of civilians. [Israel is] not targeting a single civilian. [Israel is] responding to Hamas action and [Israel is] telling the civilians to leave, Hamas is telling them to stay. Why is it telling them to stay? Because it wants to pile up their own dead bodies.”
7. “The important thing to understand is that the reason … civilians are killed [is] not because Israel is targeting civilians, but because Hamas is using civilians as human shields.”
8. “I know what efforts the Israeli army takes to minimize civilian casualties, to directly target at terrorists. I think everybody understands that. The United States has been unequivocal in support Israel’s right of self defense and condemning Hamas for using the civilians as human shields.”
Answers: #1-6: Hillary, #7-8: Netanyahu.
How did you do?
Hillary made those comments, and others, in an interview with The Atlantic’s Jeffrey Goldberg.
“She offered a vociferous defense of Israel, and of its prime minster, Benjamin Netanyahu, as well,” Goldberg writes. “Now, she is leaving no daylight at all between the Israelis and herself.”
Goldberg also notes that “it is only a matter of time before she makes a more forceful attempt to highlight her differences with the (unpopular) president she ran against, and then went on to serve” as she gears up to run for president.
Netanyahu made his statements appearing on Meet The Press.
You can take the full quiz at The Intercept.
You can read the full interview with Hillary Clinton at The Atlantic.