Man Tries to Shoot Fireworks Off The Top of His Head, Dies Immediately From Horrific Head Injuries
A Maine man passed away from head injuries over the Fourth of July weekend after he tried to launch fireworks off his head.
Police say 22-year-old Devon Staples died immediately after he placed a mortar tube on top of his head and set it off.
A spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety said that Staples had been drinking with friends on July 4 until the injury occurred at 10 pm.
“When he suggested he was going to do this, his friends gathered around him and they thought they had convinced him not to do it,” he told the Bangor Daily News.
Before anyone could react, Staples set off the mortar.
It is reportedly the first fatality since Maine legalized fireworks in 2012.
A number of other incidents were reported in Maine over the holiday weekend, mostly involving burns and eye injuries, the Department of Public Safety reported.